Thursday, June 4, 2009

my first employee

I was in 7th grade and I realized that I could sweat less and make the same money, if I toured the neighborhoods trying to sell lawnmowing. I offered the job of cutting the lawns to a fifth grader who I knew was from a poor family. I offered to him to use my dad's gas powered lawn mower and to buy the gas. I made the sales and he mowed the first lawn only to the halfway point. Then he went home, leaving the mower right where it was in the middle of the customers lawn. I finished that lawn and the others that day. It was a hot july day and I tasted the salty sweat running down my face. I kept the money, all of it. I had earned it and I had learned that I had the responsibilities of ''THE BOSS''. Many people have come and gone since then. I have sometimes been a good boss and sometimes been a bad boss. I have learned that the worst boss is the detail oriented control freak, and the best boss is the one who will inspire individual creativity and self worth, freely giving knowledge and confidence and praise earned. I am the boss and I pay for you to learn on my time. If I let an employee struggle with a problem, it is not for my economic benefit, but for their personal growth. Do I know the answer to the problem? Yes. After a time of struggle, if they don't solve the problem, and they are willing to learn to accept my guidance, I will explain the how's and why's and wherefore's that make it all tick. Tock. You see, I am ''THE BOSS'' and that's the way I do it.

1 comment:

  1. "Detail-oriented Control Freak"
    'DoCF' has a better ring to it.
    I think I'll start using that after my name, kind of like doctors do with 'PhD'

    ReplyDelete